Saturday, January 19, 2008

Flower Pillow for Granny

Thank you all for your kind (and helpful, Carola!) comments about the boys blankets. After all that work, and a talk from hubby about not trying to do toooooo much, I've decided to put those blankets on the back burner. They just weren't special looking enough to me to give as a gift for their first birthday. They'll get the monkeys, tho!

A couple of you asked how I attached the fabric to the crochet part. All I did was lay the blanket on top of the fabric (which was on my floor, right-side down) and then tied it like a lap quilt, then I hemmed the edges with a sewing machine. It's really pretty simple if all your edges are straight. There are instructions (for quilts, but it's the same process), here.

Now... a new, quick project!

Can you tell what it's going to be????

How about now???

I am SOOOO IN LOVE with this pattern! It was written by Julie Armstrong Holetz at Crochet Me. You can get a free copy at their web-site, here. It's really supposed to be a purse, but I added a few rounds to both the flower part and the border, and I'm going to stuff it to make a pillow for my granny's birthday. Oh, and I didn't have any bulky yarn, so I just held 2 strands of worsted weight together. I have all kinds of ideas in my head! Can you imagine a whole blanket of all kinds of colors of these beautiful roses???

5 comments:

Betty said...

Oh! It's beautiful. Grandma will love it! I'll try hard not to "borrow" it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy, oh too cute!! Keep Mom away from it :) Love your new banner too, very you! Jenn and Jacqui

Laura said...

I've seen the pattern the purse, but never thought to turn it into a pillow - what a great idea! My daughter would love that! The pillow is coming out beautiful so far!

Mom2fur said...

That's amazing! I've never seen anything like it!

Anonymous said...

I do like it! I think it looks really like a "grandma pillow" I'm sure if I had a grandma I would find a pillow like that in her house.
ciao ciao from Kazakhstan
freddie